Areas of Expertise
Leading Innovation & Entrepreneurial Futures, Learning & Skills Futures, Innovation roadmaps & processes, Leadership Development & Organisational Learning
Patrice lectures on a variety of programmes in the Faculty of Business, LYIT. Her teaching interests are in the areas of management, leadership, organisational behaviour and hospitality. Patrice’s academic qualifications include Masters of Philosophy and a Bachelor of Arts (First Class) degrees from Ulster University. She is currently undertaking a Doctorate of Business Administration with Liverpool John Moores University. Her research focuses on how an agile approach to talent management could be utilised by the Irish Hospitality Industry to close the skills gap.
Patrice has wide industry experience having worked in various managerial roles in Ireland, UK, France and Switzerland and lectured for four years in the International Management Institute in Switzerland. Patrice has undertaken education and industry-based research, which culminated in conference presentations and publications.
MPhil (2008) ‘A study of the role played by leadership and teambuilding in organisational effectiveness and an investigation onto the level of recognition given to this role by managers in the Irish hotel industry’.
BA (Hons) (1993) First Class Hospitality Management.
Research, Innovation & Engagement
Amir has published several papers in high impact factor journals such as Journal of cleaner production, International Journal of Production Research, and Resources, Conservation and Recycling, and International Journal of Value Chain Management. He is s
- Duffy, P., (2019) McKenzie, E, and Ó Hannracháin, C., Tourism/Hospitality Industry Training for Transition Year Students, 15th Annual Tourism and Hospitality Research in Ireland Conference, Athlone Institute of Technology, June 17 – 19
- Duffy, P., (2018) & Ó Hannracháin, C., An Analysis of Accredited Industry-Based Training Programmes as a means of addressing the Professional Skills Gaps in the Irish Hotel Industry– A Case Study.’ 14th Annual Tourism and Hospitality Research in Ireland Conference, Waterford Institute of Technology, June 17 – 19.
- Duffy, P., (2017) & Ó Hannracháin, C., Lecturers Perceptions of e-Portfolios as a means of assessing hospitality student work placement/internship, 13th Annual Tourism and Hospitality Research in Ireland Conference, Institute of Technology Sligo, June 15 – 16.
- O’hAnnracháin, C. & Duffy, P., (2016). ‘Towards a standardised approach to assessment as learning of Placements and internships in hospitality education’, 12th Annual Tourism and Hospitality Research in Ireland Conference, Limerick Institute of Technology, June 16 – 17.
- O’hAnnracháin, C. & Duffy, P., (2015). ‘Developing tourism industry occupational standards: A case of collaboration between industry and academic in 21st century Ireland’, 11th Annual Tourism and Hospitality Research in Ireland Conference, Letterkenny Institute of Technology, June 11 – 12.
- O’Reilly, P. A. & Murray, A.E. (1994). ‘Management Competencies in the Hospitality Industry’, 3rd Annual Council for Hospitality Management Education (CHME) Conference Proceedings, Napier University, Edinburgh, April.
- Bird, D & Duffy, P., (2021), The use of action learning sets on a DBA programme – an account of practice from the students’ perspective, Action Learning: Research and Practice, Vol 18 (2)
- Duffy, P., (2017) & Ó hAnnracháin, C., Lecturers Perceptions of e-Portfolios as a means of assessing hospitality student work placement/internship, in Tourism and Hospitality Research in Ireland, Entrepreneurs driving tourism and hospitality, pp275-290, IT Sligo
- Tourism/Hospitality Industry Training for Transition Year Students.
- Worked closely with Industry, delivering industry based programmes in hotels.
- Participated in teaching and learning projects funded through the National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education;
- (1) Development of National Occupational/Professional Standards for the hospitality Industry – 2016
- (2) E-Portfolios, as an assessment method for placements and internships in hospitality education – 2017