Mark Cullen is a technical artist and educator at LYIT. He delivers modules on emerging technologies, 3d modelling and animation, digital film and illustration. He has a keen interest in studying new creative production pipelines and technologies and transfers this knowledge to his teaching practice. He is currently researching and working in the areas of digital content production for augmented reality, virtual reality and games environments. He also continues to work on animation projects both 2d and 3d based.
Starting his career as an artist and art director in advertising houses in Dublin, Mark quickly moved into animation where he focused his interest in emerging realtime rendering environments and 3d. He co-founded Torc Interactive (later Instinct Technologies) in 1999 where he remained until 2008 . The company specialised in realtime rendering technology for games and visualisation and from this a sister company was formed, Darkwater Studios, to concentrate solely on games development.
While remaining a board member until its close in 2011 he left in 2008 to become an academic fellow in the University of Ulster specialising in digital human visualisation. He worked on methods of recreating human anatomy and articulation using 3d digital technology. His focus continues to remain on producing digital content for and using new and emerging technologies.
Research, Innovation & Engagement
Sample Research Publications:
- Magee, JDM, Quigley, TM, Cullen, M., Lynch, PJ, 2014, Qubizm, IZAK9 learning system exhibited at: Bett 2014 exhibition, Powering learning, Excel London. (product, character development, animation and visual communication design) (22-25 Jan, 2014)
- Callaghan, M., Cullen M., “Game Based Learning for Teaching Electrical and Electronic Engineering”, Advances in Computer Science and its Applications, ISBN: 978-3-642-41673-6 (Print) 978-3-642-41674-3 (Online), CSA 2013
- Callaghan, M., Cullen M., “Circuit Warz: Using Game-based Learning to Teach Electronic & Electrical Engineering.” Centre for Higher Education Practice, Annual Conference, University of Ulster, Jordanstown, (24 Jan., 2013)
- Cullen M, “The Transience of Feedback” Chep Conference (Centre for Higher Education Practice, Coleraine (1 Jan. 2012).
- Cullen M., “Recent studies into digital human visualisation and animation incorporating research carried out with Prof. Gunther von Hagen’s Institute of Plastenation”, ISEA 2009 Pre-Symposium, INTERFACE, Belfast, (28 Nov 2008)
Sample Innovation and Engagement:
- Delivered 10+ innovation vouchers between Invest Northern Ireland and Enterprise Ireland
- CDC Global- 2014, Lead knowledge provider on a KTP team delivering 3d animation and modelling as well as VR interaction and development.
- Quibizm Ltd.- character designer, modeller and animator on the Izak9 product from its inception. It is now delivered in over 1000 schools in Ireland and has recently been launched in the Irish language format. It is currently being translated into Chinese and Arabic for launch in the their prospective markets.
- Outsourced Insight- Visual Illustration and UI consultant for Ideator. Winner of Grand Prix award 2010, Marketing Society’s Research Excellence awards.
- Outsourced Insight- Production of an Online Consumer mock up for research understanding. Complete design, illustration, filming and production. Nominated for MSREA award 2011.
- Diageo Ireland- Visual TCUT (Target Consumer Understanding Tool) project. Full design, modelling and interaction implementation. Winner 3 awards at MSREA 2009.
- Lagan Media: Lead animator for Filíocht Anois project which aired on BBC2 2015. Now an app for both Android and Apple devices. Nominated for best animation at the Celtic Media awards 2014.