Areas of Expertise
Sustainable Tourism Destination Management
James Hanrahan BA, MSc, PhD is currently a lecturer in Tourism Management in the School of Business and Social Science at Atlantic Technological University Sligo. He has worked as a tour guide, tour operator, tourism manager, tourism entrepreneur, tourism consultant and lecturer in Ireland, New Zealand, Hawaii, Bulgaria, California, and Britain. He has a key set of publications related to sustainable destination management and an established track record in research supervision at PhD level. He continues to work for the public and private sector in tourism planning and development. Director of the Sustainable Tourism Observatory utilising UNWT, GSTC and European Tourism Indicator System (ETIS) for Sustainable Destination management. Collaborations with Failte Ireland, Clare, Donegal and Galway County Councils, EarthCheck, UNWTO international sustainable tourism observatories.
Research, Innovation & Engagement
Tourism and the Circular Economy, Sustainable tourism indicators, Robotics and AI in sustainable tourism, Tourists as vectors of Biosecurity threats. Sustainable destination management, Tourism planning and development, Tourism education, Ecotourism certification, Visitor generated content, Sustainable event management, Tourism and technology.
Post Grad. Research supervision to completion:
- 2021 PhD Tourists as vectors of potential Biosecurity threats in Ireland.
- External examiners Prof. Margaret Linehan and Dr Catriona Murphy
- 2018 PhD An Examination of Local Authority Sustainable Planning for Event Management in Ireland
- External examiners: Prof. Alan Clarke and Dr Patrick Lynch
- 2017 PhD Longitudinal analysis of LA tourism planning in Ireland
- External examiners: Prof. Kevin Hannam and Dr Adrian Devine
- 2013 PhD Supply and Demand of Sustainable Tourism in Ireland; Destination management
- External examiners: Prof. Alan Clarke and Prof. Malcom Cooper
- 2011 PhD Constraints on the development of rural tourism enterprise
- External examiner: Prof. Gary Prosser
- 2013 MA A Green Print for managing impacts of Tourism Attractions
- 2011 MSc Sustainable Tourism in Northwest Connemara
- 2005 MA An analysis of the provision of third level tourism education in Ireland
- 2003 MSc Sustainable Tourism Planning a comparative of Sligo and Donegal county councils.